Tikil Gomen is another must when ordering an Ethiopian Vegetarian Combo. It’s slightly sweet, and provides a nice vegetable texture that pairs well with the smoother yellow pea and red lentil stews. Below is a slightly modified version of a recipe we got from the Toronto Star to suit our tastes, including the addition the of bullion. Also, the dish is usually served with the vegetables cut in very large chunks, but we like them a little smaller so they fully absorb the flavors of the dish.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 medium yellow onions, halved, sliced
- 3 large carrots, cut in half lengthwise and then sliced on diagonal
- 2 white boiling potatoes, peeled, cut in ½-inch cubes
- 1 T garlic, chopped
- 1 T ginger, pureed
- 1/4 t turmeric
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 Knorr vegetarian vegetable bullion
- 1/2 head of cabbage, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, chopped
In large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, 4 minutes. Add carrots and continue cooking, stirring for 4 minutes. Add the potatoes, cover, and cook for 5 more minutes. Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the water and bullion cube. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add cabbage and jalapeno, stir, cover and continue cooking until vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Watch them to ensure they do not burn.