Here’s another fast and delicious recipe from Sandra Lee adapted our vegetarian diet. It’s great by itself or as an accompaniment to a veggie meaty dish.
- 2 T veggie oil, divided
- 1 recipe of vegan chicken, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 2 c long grain rice (we like basmati)
- 4 c veggie broth (2 cubes of Knorr vegetarian bouillon mixed with 4 cups of boiling water)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 T chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 T garlic, chopped
- 1 T Cajun seasoning
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- 1 t salt
- 1 t black pepper
Combine the Spices ingredients in a small bowl.
Heat 1 T of oil In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the vegan chicken, season lightly with salt and pepper, and brown on both sides, about 7 minutes.. Remove the chicken and set aside.
Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the sauté pan. Add the Veggies and stir-fry until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the Spices and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in the rice. Add 3 c of the broth and the canned tomatoes including juice, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Check the mixture halfway through cooking. Add additional broth during cooking if the rice is dry. After the rice is cooked, add the fried chicken pieces.