One of Deniz’ ultimate favorite dishes is Buffalo wings. Every time we try to pick a restaurant for dinner, he asks to go to Yard House in Waikiki because of their Gardein buffalo wings dish. After several such repeated requests, it finally occurred to me that we can make them at home. Below is our vegetarian adaptation to Buffalo wings. We tried it using MorningStar’s Italian herb Chik Patties and Gardein’s Chick’n Strips. Deniz liked the MorningStar version better and I liked the Gardein version better. In the end it depends how much you like buffalo sauce. The more breading, the more buffalo sauce flavor.
And yes, I know that both MorningStar and Gardein offer buffalo wing products, but we couldn’t find them in Hawaii, and I don’t like how hot their version is anyway. These are just right.
American Buffalo Vegetarian Chicken Wings
- 7 oz Chik Patties or Chick'n Strips
- Ranch dip
- 3 T butter
- 2 t garlic minced
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 veggie bullion cube
- Cook the chick patties/strips in the oven/stovetop according to package directions. We baked the breaded patties at 400°F for 14 minutes and stir fried the (non-breaded) strips in 1 T cooking on high heat until browned.
- Heat the buffalo sauce ingredients in a pan until the bullion is fully dissolved.
- Mix the heated patties/strips in the sauce until coated evenly and the sauce is absorbed.
- Serve with the ranch dip.