Vegetables in a cream sauce, there’s something so satisfying about the combination. The richness of the cream pairs so well with the crunch and healthiness of the vegetables. Deniz and I love to modify cream soup recipes to make them into creamy vegetable dishes. This creamy cauliflower recipe is one of our favorites, modified from Ree Drummond’s Cauliflower Soup recipe.
- 2 T + 2 T butter
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 large carrot one finely diced, and the other sliced in quarters lengthwise and chopped in 1 inch segments
- 1 celery stalk fibers peeled and removed, and finely diced
- 1 cauliflower head cored and broken into large bite-sized pieces
- 2 T fresh parsley finely minced
- 1/2 c water
- 1 c milk
- 1 Knorr vegetable bullion
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- 1 t salt or to taste
- black pepper ground
- Prepare the vegetables as described above.
- Melt 2 T of the butter in a heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery, and stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cauliflower. Cover and cook over very low heat for 8 minutes.
- Add the water and bullion, and stir until the bullion is dissolved and water is sizzling.
- Cover, remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 2 T butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes, and then pour in the milk, whisking to combine.
- Remove the white sauce from the heat and pour in the heavy cream.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Pour into a blender: the white sauce, the broth from the vegetable pot, and 1 cup of the vegetables in the vegetable pot.
- Blend into a smooth consistency.
- Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Pour on top of the cooked vegetables.
- Garnish with the parsley. Serve.