Deniz and I love indian food and palak paneer is one of those great flavorful and healthy dishes. We had a lot of extra ong choi in the garden and figured, why not try it with water spinach instead? We took Dassan’s Palak Paneer recipe and modified it slightly to make it our own. Here is our fusion recipe, we couldn’t be more pleased with the results. So flavorful, bursting with Indian spice and with the smoothness of ong choi. Enjoy!
Fusion Indian-Chinese Pani Palak Paneer / Pureed Ong Choi with Tofu
- Ong Choi Puree
- 1½ lbs fresh ong choi washed well and large stems removed
- 1 anaheim chilli chopped
- 2 t garlic
- 1 t ginger
- 3/4 c water for the puree
- 6 c water boiling
- 6 c water frigid with ice cubes
- 4 T oil
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- medium onions diced in a food processor
- 2½ T garlic minced
- small tomatoes chopped
- ½ t turmeric powderi
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t garam masala
- 2 t vegeta
- salt to taste
- 1 block approx 1 lb of extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 t kasuri methi leaves/dry fenugreek leaves crumbled
- ½ c half and half
Ong Choi Puree:
- Boil 6 cups water in a pot and with 1 tsp salt. Add the ong choi leaves and thin stems into the boiling water. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Strain the leaves and then immediately place the strained leaves into 6 cups of cold water with ice cubes to cool it down. Drain again.
- Blend the cooled cooked ong choi in a blender with the ginger, garlic, and 3/4 c of water until smooth.
- Heat the cooking oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the bay leaves and diced onions and saute till the onions become golden.
- Add the minced garlic. Saute it without browning it.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stirring until they soften, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the turmeric powder and chili powder.
- Stir in the ong choi puree. Simmer for 6-7 minutes or more till the ong choi is cooked, adding water as needed to keep it a smooth creamy consistency.
- Stir in the vegeta, salt to taste, garam masala, and tofu cubes. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the crumbled dry fenugreek leaves.
- Stir in the cream.