After Deniz’ 20th weekly purchase of tiramsu from Don Quixote’s, I couldn’t help but challenge myself to make something cheaper, healthier, and just as tasty ourselves. Challenge accepted. This whoopie pie look-alike is actually a reverse tiramisu: chocolate cake dipped in coffee with a tangy cream frosting. No matter what it’s called, it’s mouthwatering moist and light, with just the right amount of sweet, bitter, and tart. We couldn’t stop ourselves, gobbled down 12 cupcakes in the first day. I’ve never been a big chocolate or coffee fan, and even I can’t keep my hands off of these.
Mocha Whoopie Cupcakes
- 1 package dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 plus 1 cup coffee cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- butter cooking spray
- 8- oz plain cream cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c sugar
- 3 T coffee cooled
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Put metallic cupcake liners in two 12-cupcake pans or 24-mini cupcake pans. Spray with cooking spray.
- Mix the cake ingredients (except for the cooking spray) in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until almost smooth.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcakes. Bake according to package directions. Cool 10 minutes.
- Cut each cupcake in half. Pour 1 tsp of coffee onto the cut side of both the top and the bottom of the cupcake.
- Mix all of the cream filling together first by and and then with an electric blender until smooth. Spread the cream filling in the middle of the cupcake.