We decided to take a long overdue trip to Chinatown last weekend. It was great to find some hard to find items, including pickled mustard green. Here’s an incredibly addictive Sichuan recipe from Wei-Chuan’s Chinese Cooking cookbook, modified to be vegetarian. The ginger and pickled mustard green are the stars in this recipe, and pair perfectly with the fake meat and vegetables.
Sichuan Stirfried Vegetarian Pork with Veggies and Pickled Mustard Green
- 6 oz Morningstar Vegetarian Sausage Patties
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 salt
- 1 t rice wine
- 2 T water
- 1/2 T cornstarch
- 1/2 bunch green onions sliced on an angle in one inch lengths
- 1 T ginger root shredded
- 1 T hot red pepper shredded
- 1 small green pepper shredded
- 1/2 c Sichuan pickled mustard green shredded
- 4 oz can bamboo shoots shredded (can be substituted with lo mein noodles for a different taste if you don't like bamboo shoots)
- 4 carrots julienned
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t MSG
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/2 t sesame oil
- Prepare the ingredients as described in the above Ingredients list. Place the Marinade ingredients into a large bowl, the Spices ingredients in a medium bowl, and the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Toast the patties for 12 minutes at 350ºF. After they cool, slice them width-wise, in half diameter-wise, and then into thin strips.
- Toss the patty strips in the Marinade. Let them sit, marinating for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Boil 6 cups of water in a pot. Add the julienned carrots, return to boil, and cook for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 T of vegetable oil on high heat in a wok. Add the drained, marinated patty strips to the wok and stir-fry for 1 minute, constantly stir-frying to keep the strips from sticking to the wok. Remove from the wok and set aside.
- Heat another 2 T of vegetable oil on high heat in the wok. Add the Spices and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the Veggies and the stir-fried patty strips and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the Sauce and stir-fry for 1 minute.