This is Taiwanese comfort food at its best. My mom used to make it all time, and as kids we loved it. She even stuffed the Thanksgiving turkey with it. It’s so good it’s addictive. We adapted the below recipe from WeiChuan’s Rice cookbook for our vegetarian diet. We used dried marinated turnips in place of the typical dried shrimp/fish.
- 4 c sticky rice 糯米 (rice cooker’s cup, long grain preferred)
- 6 MorningStar Original vegetarian sausage patties
- ½ oz dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 oz pickled dried marinated turnip, finely chopped and washed to remove excessive salt. (When we can’t find turnip, we substitute with raw peanuts. It yields a different taste, but also very good.)
- 4 large shallots, cut in half and then sliced in half circles
- ½ c vegetable oil
- 5 T soy sauce
- 1 t salt
- 1 t sesame oil
- 1 t pepper
Wash the rice, add water up to 4 cup line of your rice cooker pot. Cook the rice in a rice cooker.
Soften the dried mushroom in warm water for 30 minutes. Cut out the stems and coarsely chop the rest.
Toast the vegetarian sausage patties for 15 minutes at 450°F. Pulse in food processor to a ground beef consistency.
Heat 1/2 c of vegetable oil in a very large sauce pan. Add the shallots, mushrooms and pickled turnip and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add Seasoning ingredients and mix well to combine. Turn off he heat. Add ground sausage patties and mix to combine. Add steamed rice, and mix well until the rice has an even brown color.