When I heard this name from Delphine for the first time, I worried she had become a member of a satanic cult. When she asked what I prefer – baked or steamed, I was sure I was about the be sacrificed in our own kitchen. I really should pay attention more when she speaks to me instead of browsing online with my tablet.
This is Seitan, aka Vegan Meat, which is a fancy name for wheat gluten. In this recipe it’s spiced a little bit, so it is more like a sausage or pepperoni alternative than a regular bland meat. You can use it in your sandwiches, in your omelettes, on your pizzas – just to name a few uses I can think of.
We took this recipe from this blog page that was posted 7 years ago, which linked to a forum page as the source that seems to be down now. So we are here to share it before all the traces of this secret recipe disappear forever!
Seitan O' Greatness - Vegan Sausage/Pepperoni
- 1 ½ c vital wheat gluten
- ¼ c nutritional yeast
- ½ t salt
- 2 t paprika
- ¼ t cinnamon
- ¼ t cumin
- 1 ½ t black pepper
- ⅛ t cayenne pepper
- ½ t crushed fennel seed if making pepperoni
- 1 c cold veggie broth
- 4 T tomato paste
- 1 T ketchup
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- ½ T minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- In a large mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the wet ingredients, and whisk well.
- Combine the 2 bowls (dry + wet ingredients). Mix well, then knead for several minutes.
- Form into a log (about 6-8" long), wrap tightly in aluminum foil, twisting both ends. Bake for 90 minutes. When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate. Slice to use as desired.
- All hail to Seitan the Great!