Another great reciepe from Wei-Chuan, this one from the Chinese Cuisine Cooking Book by Huang Su Huei. We adapted it for our vegetarian diet.
Chinese Stir-Fried String Beans with Vegetarian Meat
- 2 lbs string beans ends trimmed off and cut in half
- 4 MorningStar Vegetarian Original Sausage Patties
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 8 T pickled mustard greens chopped
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 t sugar
- 1/2 t MSG
- 1 T veggie broth or water
- 1 t rice wine
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 t sesame oil
- 1 t salt
- Toast the veggie sausage patties in the oven for 10 minutes on 350°F. Then pulse them in a food processor (or chop manually) to a ground beef consistency.
- Mix all the Sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok on high heat. Deep fry the string beans in the vegetable oil for 10 minutes or until wrinkled like in the above picture, mixing constantly to ensure even heat. Set the fried green beans aside.
- Discard all except for 2 T of the cooking oil in the wok. Stir fry the ground veggie patties and mustard greens in the oil on high heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the sauce and green beans and continue to stir-fry until the sauce is dry. Turn off the heat. Add the garnish and stir to combine.