I used to think that bakery should be always separate from savory food (well, except bread of course). Whenever I saw a chicken pot pie in the frozen section, I was asking myself “why?”. After I tried one, I found the answer.
When we baked this Vegetarian Chicken Pot Pie at home for the first time, my hopes weren’t too high. After all, it was vegetarian with no real chicken. Fortunately I was wrong again. It turned out to be a fantastic pot pie, minus the chicken blood on our hands.
We baked this pot pie in ramekins, which provides a good serving size if you are very hungry. Delphine and I usually just share one. Also, you can be flexible with the filling. e.g. you can put your favorite vegetable if you like. But we suggest you use the other listed ingredients for a closest chicken-like taste (if you have a better tasting formula, please share in the comments!). I’d also like to mention Ina Garten here since we modified her recipe on Food Network here.
- 6 ramekins
- 3/4 lb Morningstar chik patties (If you cannot find this, try another vegetarian chicken meat or cauliflower can also be substituted)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups of stock (3 Knorr veggie bullion cubes dissolved in 6 cups of hot water)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 frozen pie crusts (round)
- 1 egg, for brushing the crust
Veggies and Seasoning:
- 1½ cups carrots, diced
- 1 small potato, diced
- 1½ c frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt