Kale is the perfect leafy green. It's so nutritious, mild (not bitter!), and holds up great in dishes. We decided to make kale pesto with our extra kale, and it has a delicious, well balanced pesto taste, without a strong bitterness.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 c packed kale leaves about 1 small bunch
- 1 c packed basil leaves
- ¾ c walnuts toasted
- 1½ T lemon juice about 1½ lemons
- ¾ t salt
- ¼ t pepper ground
- ¼ t red pepper flakes optional
- 1/3 c extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ c grated Parmesan cheese
- In a food processor, add the peeled garlic cloves and process until the garlic is minced.
- Add the kale, basil, toasted walnuts, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Turn on the food processor and drizzle in the oil.
- Process until the pesto reaches your desired consistency, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Taste and add more lemon, salt or pepper if necessary.
- Serve on whatever you like, pasta, burgers, veggies, etc. Mix in extra olive oll, if needed/desired.