I love muffins and have been searching for a healthy way to make them (reduced fat, sugar and salt), but still keeping the great taste and texture. Below is my experimental recipe that I continue to work on.
- 1 Medium Zucchini grated (250g)
- 1 Large Carrot grated
- 1/4 c Peas frozen
- 1/4 c sweet corn frozen
- 1 c 125g Cheddar Cheese grated (3/4 mixed into wet ingredients, 1/4 reserved for outside)
- 3/4 c Milk
- 1/4 c Yogurt
- 1/4 c Olive Oil or 2 T olive oil + 2 T applesauce
- 1 t Salt
- 1/2 T Seasoning mix your choice
- 5 T Sugar
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 1 -1/4 c Whole Wheat flour
- 3/4 c Corn meal
- 1 T Baking Powder
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Mix the Wet Ingredients in a large mixing bowl (make sure to reserve 1/4 c of the cheddar). Stir until combined well.
- Whisk the Dry Ingredients together in a separate bowl until the baking powder is fully incorporated.
- Add the Dry Ingredients to the Wet Ingredients. Fold in gently, until just combined. Don't overmix.
- Spray two 24 hole donut hole trays with oil or grease with butter.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 c cheddar evenly into the donut holes in the tray.
- Using a large melon baller, scoop the mixture, equally, into the holes of the two trays. Bake for 15 mins.