Another exciting Mediterranean recipe from my sister in-law Guelevren, made from zucchinis carved like, well, gondolas.
Turkish Zucchini Gondola
- 4 to matoes peeled & chopped
- 8 zucchinis cut in half long way
- 3 red peppers chopped
- 1 Anaheim or banana pepper chopped
- 3 onions chopped
- 1 C mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 lbs of ground soy meat
- ½ t black pepper
- ½ t paprika
- Heat a large saute pan with 1 T of olive oil on medium heat. Place zucchini halves cutside up on the pan. Add 2 T of water, and cover. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool. Scoop out the middle of the zucchinis, and set them aside.
- Reheat the saute pan with 1 T of olive oil on medium high heat. Add tomatoes and stirfry for 2-3 minutes until they are smashed completely. Add the scooped out zucchini insides. Lightly salt. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reheat the saute pan with 1 T of olive oil on medium high heat. Add chopped onions, peppers, with 2 T of the sauteed tomato (or 1 T of tomato paste).
- Add ground soy meat into onion pepper mix and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add black pepper, paprika, and salt to taste.
- Stuff the mixture into the zucchinis. Place zucchinis into he tomato sauce in oven-safe ceramic or glass container.
- Sprinkle shredded mozarella cheese on top.
- Bake at 400°F until melted cheese is golden brown, approximately 25min.