Who doesn’t love a great Sloppy Joe?! Here’s our vegetarian adaptation of Rachel Ray’s fantastic recipe. Tastes just as good as I remember from my childhood. We used our favorite french bread recipe to make the buns.
American Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil 1 turn of the pan
- 1 1/2 lbs Morningstar Original vegetarian Sausage Patties
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 T steak seasoning blend we use Montreal Seasoning
- 2 T medium onions diced
- 2 T small red bell peppers diced
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 1 t red wine or brandy
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- 3 c tomato sauce
- 2 T tomato paste
- 4 crusty rolls split, toasted, and lightly buttered
- Toast the veggie sausage patties in the oven for 15 minutes on 400°F. Pulse the toasted patties a food processor (or chop manually) to a ground beef consistency.
- Heat olive oil a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sugar and steak seasoning with the diced red peppers and onions to the skillet. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- Add wine, tomato sauce and tomato paste to the pan. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to simmer and cook the mixture 5 minutes longer.
- Add the ground toasted sausage patties and stir to coat complete.
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, pile sloppy meat onto toasted, buttered bun bottoms and cover with bun tops.