We’ve tried making a lot of different veggie burgers and kebabs over the years, and found it’s tough to get the taste and texture right. Sometimes they’re too meaty, and sometimes they’re not meaty enough. Also, they often come out too crumbly if too many vegetables are put in. With the help of Beyond Meat, we’ve finally come to a balance that we enjoy. It’s moist and meaty, with a slight hint of sweetness and vegetables.
- 4 Beyond Meat burger patties
- 1 medium-sized beet, peeled and shredded
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 scallions, diced
- 1/3 c sweet corn
- 1 oz queso fresco (about ¼ c)
- ¼ c panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t cumin
- ¼ t black pepper
- Burger or slider buns
- Mayonnaise (optional)
- Ketchup (optional)
- Mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- Onions, sliced (optional)
- Tomato, sliced (optional)
- Prepare the ingredients as described in the Ingredients list.
- Fry the shredded beet and carrot in a large skillet with a cover on medium-high heat in 1 T of oil. Stir to coat the beet and carrot in oil. Spread the shredded beat and carrot on the bottom pan so they form a thin even layer. Put a cover on the pan, turn the heat to medium, and cook for 5 minutes. This is waterless cooking. It steams and fries the food at the same time, without water, keeping the nutrients in the food, while cooking the food thoroughly.
- Combine the cooked beet and carrot and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Form the mixture into 6 burger or 12 slider patties, matching the size and shape of the buns you’ve purchased.
- Cook on a heated grill or fry in a heated pan in oil to taste, approximately 5 minutes.
- If sliced mushrooms and onions are desired as optional toppings, fry them on medium high heat in a large skillet uncovered in 1 t of oil until they soften and brown, approximately 4 minutes. They should be spread in a single layer on the pan so they are evenly cooked, and only stirred once or twice during cooking.
- Serve in a burger or slider bun, top with optional sliced tomatoes and/or fried mushrooms and onions, and other condiments.