I’ve never been a big fan of quiche because of the eggy and heavy taste. But after having brunch at a French eatery, I realized that quiches don’t have to be eggy or fatty. So Deniz and I created this delicious and easy to make quiche that is lower in fat than normal quiches and not so eggy in taste. It was so tasty, we documented the recipe and have made it many times since.
Makes 2 quiches.
Fusion Veggie Quiche with Feta
- 2 pre-made deep dish pie crusts in a pie tin thawed for 10 minutes and holes poked into it with a fork.
- 3 Morningstar Brand Original Vegetarian Sausage Patties
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small red pepper diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 small head of broccoli broken into florets and then diced
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 T cooking oil
- 2 T water
- 5 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 4 eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare Ingredients as described above in the Ingredients list.
- Bake pre-made crusts in the oven for 11 minutes or per package directions until slightly browned. Also place the veggie sausage patties into the oven at the same time on tin foil and bake for 13 minutes.
- Take crust and veggie patties out of oven and reduce the heat to 350°F.
- Heat cooking oil on medium high heat in large saucepan. Add diced veggies in the following order: carrots, onions, pepper, broccoli. Allow to cook for 2 minutes. Add water. Cover and cook on high until steam comes out of the slides of the pan/lid, approximately 7 minutes. Turn the heat off and let stand for 10 minutes with the cover still on. Drain any remaining water. Add 1/2 t salt and mix to combine. Remove to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool.
- Crumble the extra firm tofu using a fork until it is the consistency of scrambled eggs. Add to the bowl of veggies and mix to combine.
- Break the sausage patties into pieces using a fork until they are a small ground beef consistency. Add 1/2 t salt and mix to combine. Add to the bowl of veggies/tofu and mix to combine.
- Add the pepper, beaten eggs, and 1/4 of the feta cheese to the bowl of veggies and sausage patties. Mix the bowl ingredients to combine.
- Scoop the veggie-sausage-egg mixture into the baked pie crust. Add the remaining crumbled feta cheese to the top. Place into the oven and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and quiche is set.