This is a great snack and tea companion. Crunchy puff pastry filled with vegetarian sausage and cheese, baked for perfection. If you like borek, or spanakopita you will love this.
American Vegetarian Sausage Cheese Swirls
- 1 box of frozen Puff Pastry Sheets includes 2 ready-to-bake sheets, thawed but still cool
- 1 t olive oil
- 6 oz crimini mushrooms chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 lb vegetarian sausage such as MorningStar Sasuage Patties
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 c + 4 T cheddar shredded
- 1 egg or egg substitute, beaten
- Toast the vegsausage patties for 14 minutes at 400°F. After they have cooled, cut them in quarters and pulse them in a food processor until they are size and consistency of ground beef.
- Prepare the ingredients as described in the ingredients list.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, and salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushroom mixture is very tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the ground veg sausage, cream cheese, and 1/2 c of cheddar until well blended.
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Lay the puff pastry sheets down on a cutting board. Brush with egg.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 4 T of shredded cheddar.
- Spread the filling mixture on the pastry sheets evenly.
- Roll the sheets into very very loose tubes.
- Cut them into half inch slices with a sharp knife carefully (total of 20 slice).
- Lay slices flat on a greased baking sheet, and spread out into a wide circle to give the puff pastry room to expand.
- Brush with the remaining beaten egg.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the pastry on the inside of the swirl is cooked and the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.