One day, Deniz and I had some extra broccoli and decided to make the classic Chinese-American beef with broccoli dish. We vegetarian-ized a recipe from Wei-Chuan’s Chinese Cooking cookbook and were happy with the results. We’ve continued to modify it to further enhance it. Here’s our latest and favorite version.
Vegetarian Beef & Broccoli
- 6 oz Morningstar vegetarian Grilers Original burgers
- 2 heads of broccoli florrets only
- 1 red pepper cut in 1 inch strips
- 4 oz can of water chestnuts drained and sliced (optional)
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1/2 bunch of green onions sliced
- 1/2 red onion sliced (optional)
- 6 slices of ginger root optional
- 1 T rice wine
- 2 T soy sauce
- 2 T vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1/2 t MSG
- 1½ t sugar
- 1/2 t white pepper
- 1/2 t sesame oil
- 2 c vegetarian broth we prefer to use broth made with dried Chienese mushroom seasoning
- 1½ T corn starch
- 1 T deep fried dried garlic
- Prepare the ingredients as described in the above Ingredients list. Place the Spices ingredients in a small bowl, and the Sauce ingredients in a large bowl.
- Toast the patties for 15 minutes at 350ºF. After they cool, pulse them in a food processor to a large chunky ground beef consistency.
- Place the broccoli florets in a large saucepan with stems facing down.
- Place the sliced red pepper on top of the broccoli.
- Add 1/8 c of water to the pan. Cover the pan, and cook on high heat.
- After 5 minutes, turn the heat off and leave the pan on the stove covered for 5 more minutes.
- Drain any remaining liquid from the pan, and set the vegetables aside.
- Heat 2 T of vegetable oil on high heat in the large saucepan.
- Stir-fry the Spices for 1 minute. Add the ground vegbeef and continue to stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the drained vegetables and water chestnuts. Add 1 more T of vegetable oil and stir to combine.
- Add the Sauce and continue cooking and stirring until it is thickened.
- Remove the ginger root slices before serving.