As vegetarians we never wanted to be associated with salad and other raw greens. However, this does not mean we hate salad (okay, Delphine does, but don’t tell anyone). But we believe vegetables are important part of our diet just like carbs and proteins.
Kale is a very healthy, nutritious vegetable. It is bitter by nature, but this can be altered with the addition of other ingredients. When we saw Food Network Star Aarti Sequiera’s Massaged Kale Mango recipe for the first time, we wanted to give it a shot. With its unique taste, it exceeded our expectations. The result was a perfect marriage of bitterness & sweetness with a sour & salty touch. Today we made it again, and we would like to share our recipe, which is slightly modified from the original.
Mango Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale stalks removed
- 1 t salt or to taste
- 1 mango cut in small cubes
- 1 T of honey
- 1/4 c of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T of lemon juice
- 1/2 c of walnuts optional
- Cut the kale leaves in very thin slices.
- Add salt, and massage the kale, breaking down the fibers, for 5 minutes or until it is soft. The kale leaves will shrink significantly in volume, that's normal.
- Add the mango, lemon juice, olive oil, honey and walnuts. Mix it well.