This Russian dish is classic in America, commonly found in TV dinners, but is never available in a vegetarian version. We’ve updated it for our vegetarian diet, and have replaced the traditional sour cream with yogurt for a healthier dish. Enjoy!
Vegetarian Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pack egg noodles cooked to package instructions
- fresh oregano for garnish optional
- 12 Morningstar Original Sausage Patties
- 1 t garlic salt
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 T all purpose flour
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 T butter
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 10- oz can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1½ c water
- 1 Knorr vegetarian bullion cube
- 1/3 c plain full fat yogurt
- Toast the vegetarian sausage patties for 12 minutes at 400ºF. Allow to cool.
- Slice in half height-wise, so that you have two circles.
- Slice each circle in half. Then cut each half three times so you have a total of 16 strips.
- Sprinkle the garlic salt and pepper onto the slices and mix to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle the flour on top and mix to evenly coat.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and stir-fry until the onion is soft, around 3 minutes.
- Add the coated VegBeef slices. Continue to stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushroom soup, water, and bullion cube and stir to evenly combine.
- Continue cooking until the bullion cube is dissolved. Turn off the heat.
- Stir in the yogurt. Serve the the sauce on top of the noodles and add the optional garnish on top.